Sharing My Winter Knitting Plans to Start off 2016!
Back in September I shared my inspiration for autumn knitting , what I was working on or hoping to complete. With the release of Brooklyn Tweed’s Winter 2016 collection last week, organizing my yarn haul from Christmas, and planning out my projects from some upcoming trips, I thought this was the perfect opportunity to share an updated look at my queue and slow fashion plans.
- Ryan’s Sweater – I’ve been working on a sweater for Ryan on and off since the end of summer and finally in the last couple weeks I kicked it into gear and made some great progress. I chose Rift by Brooklyn Tweed (of course!) and I’m really loving the simple details along the sides.
- Cozy Socks – These originally were going to be cabled socks, but whenever I picked them up to knit, I had no motivation. Kate at Handknit Yarn finally convinced me this awesome yarn doesn’t need cables and looks fantastic in basic stockinette. Bonus, it knits up faster too! These will be coming along with me on our trip next week as back up.
- Sweater No. 5 – Originally, I had plans to make another scarf/shawl with the Julie Asselin’s Fino Simple I picked up when Handknit Yarn Studio had a meet and greet with Julie (such an awesome evening!), but as I began knitting, I decided I wanted to make another Relax sweater since I wear my first one all the time.
- Tambourine Cardigan – I’ve been wanting to knit this cardigan for a while and at the Julie Asselin event, I picked up four of her Leizu DK skein’s in this wonderful golden, yellow colour, Jaipur. This is my main project for our trip next week. Since I’m tagging along with Ryan on his work trip, I’ll have lots of time to relax and knit, and in warmer weather too!
- Hats, hats and more hats! – My yarn haul from Christmas includes a couple yarns for some more winter hats. I love knitting hats! To me, they are the perfect projects to work on in between sweaters or even if you need a break from a larger project. I plan on knitting another Catenary Hat by Erica Knits and also trying a new pattern, the Petawawa Cable Toque by Good Night, Day.
- Lila Pullover – On instagram last winter, there was a Lila Knitalong and after seeing everyone’s completed sweaters, I knew I wanted to make this pattern! I’m thinking I may try the top-down version since I’ve never attempted a top-down sweater. I have some more Leizu DK in my stash (from Christmas ) so I’m hoping to possibly use it for this project.
- Fure Fingerless Gloves – I’m always cold. Especially my fingers and toes. I’ve been wanting to knit a pair of fingerless gloves to wear at work, or with three-quarter length sleeve shirts under coats, or to wear when walking the dog. This pattern is the exact style I want, so now I’ll just have to pick out the perfect yarn to go along with it. A grey or navy perhaps?
- League Pullover – Finally, with the release of the Winter 2016 collection by Brooklyn Tweed, I couldn’t not add one of the beautiful patterns to my queue! The colours in the sample knit are right up my alley and I’m in love with the simple design and slim fit. All of my current handknit sweaters are a looser fit, and I think I’m finally wanting to knit some more fitted options (hence the Tambourine cardigan!).
For all you knitters/crocheters/makers out there, I’d love to know what projects you are hoping to work on this winter. I love talking about knitting, and knitting with friends over coffee or some delicious craft beer! I’ll be posting my progress on my instagram and ravelry with the few small trips I have coming up, if you’d like to follow along too. And I’ll have another project update some time in the Spring!